Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cake Lover

Yes, I love cakes! (Making them that is.)


I was recently asked to be a guest speaker at the SCY (Summit County Youth) program for elementary school students. Each week there was someone different talking about some of their talents and things they enjoy doing, the series ends with a talent show. There was a videographer, an artist, a baker (me!), and a seamstress.

I got to share with the kids a little about how I got started baking, what I enjoy about it, the tools I use, some of the cakes I have made, etc. Just in case you might be interested in knowing a little about what I shared, here is a little bit...

~My mom is my inspiration. I always had the best birthday cakes growing up. They tasted great but they looked awesome. As I got older she showed me how to decorate and in the months before I got married I decided to take a cake decorating class to relieve some stress. I found I really liked it. I enjoy making something that looks good and tastes good too. It is fun for me to find new ideas and try to recreate them and then watch as people get to enjoy what I have created.

The kids ooooohed and aaaaahed over the slide show of some of my favorite cakes. They also had some great questions and as I said before it was fun for me to share something that I am so passionate about.

Funny Face Cupcakes

I wanted to have the kids make something that was fun and would allow them to be creative. I baked the cupcakes ahead of time and had different items for the kids to use to make funnyfaces. I encouraged them to think about different ways they could use the items to make different eyes, noses, mouths, ears, hair, using the following:

Froot Loops, Chocolate chips, marshmallows, pretzels, jelly beans, licorice, etc.

They did great and everyone seemed to have a good time!

1 comment:

  1. How great is this!? I love that you got the opportunity to share a passion of yours with these kiddos. I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete