Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Hero

I have had this problem in the mornings for awhile now with my little man. He doesn't want me to change his diaper when he wakes up. Therefore, he doesn't want to get out of bed. I hear things like "no," "stay here," "bye-bye, mommy." The kid has been adamant about this. My first approach was to offer him the choice to get out of bed and let me change his diaper or stay in bed. One morning he was up there for 40 minutes. I ran up and down stairs to keep checking on him, meanwhile Hannah found my prego stash of cocoa puffs - smelled like chocolate all morning. Next, my husband suggested that I give him the choice to get out on his own or for me to take him out. This at least gets him out since they are both options I want, but then when I would go to change his diaper he would kick and fight me. AT this point a time-out isn't an option because it prolongs the already LONG process we are going through.

My mom has been listening to me complain about this for some quite time. She had a brilliant suggestion. I am now giving Jack a little bag of cheerios and raisins and he happily complies and lays right down for me to change his diaper. I had tried offering him toys or things to hold before and had even tried singing him songs. My thought is that little man wakes up hungry and grumpy and that this is helping him to be occupied and more happy. We were also running into some tantrums on the way downstairs and refusal to eat...again, I think he was hungry.

This all brings me to the point of my blog post. Moms are the BEST! My mom's job continues just in a different way as I am now an adult and raising children of my own. She listens, encourages, comforts, and guides me. I am so thankful for her! Love you Mom!

2 comments:

  1. I concur!!!! Janice is an outstanding, incredible, amazing, funny, encouraging, generous person!!! I love the person you are and knowing your mom (and dad) I know exactly who you get your awesomeness from :) I can never say enough how amazing of a friend, daughter, mother and wife i think you are. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.......just don't know what to say! I'm humbled. Once a mom - always a mom! You never quit encouraging, 'teaching', or thinking your kid is the best!!!! I am many times blessed - as I have many of my children's friends that I wouldn't mind being considered their 'second' mom!

    ReplyDelete