Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lies

The other night I got a phone call from my mom who was having dinner with my brother. I picked up and she said "Did you tell your brother you met Whoopi Goldberg?" I knew exactly what she was talking about and so I nonchalantly responded with "you mean in an airport bathroom? she signed a piece of toilet paper for me." My mom recognized this as untruth immediately. However, when I first told that little lie when I was a child, my brother didn't know I was lying. This is the kind of thing I used to do when I was a kid - I would make up fibs and tell them to people just to see if people would believe me. No one really ever believed me because I lied about ridiculous things. Really, who would believe a 7th grader when they said they had a nose job. Or the time I told people I had a twin sister who died at birth.

Funny that this surfaced again this week. Once a week I meet with some other women who are moms to read/discuss a book together. This week we talked about how all kids will lie at some point and how we think we might handle this when our kids are older. It will be awhile before Jack starts telling lies but he will some day. I think for me, I just wanted to see what I could get away it. I am sure I lied about other more serious things, but the ones I remember telling were absolutely ridiculous. And hard to believe that a lie I told almost 20 years ago is still affecting me - once its out of your mouth, you can't ever take it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment