Thursday, August 13, 2009

Jammin'

This summer I have started experimenting with jams. I have tried strawberry, blackberry, and mixed berry (raspberry, strawberry, and blackberry). It has been fun to try something completely new and I like tasting them all. The strawberry turned out more like jelly, but the consistency of the other two turned out great. I'm just getting ready for next year so that when berries go on sale I am prepared.

When I was a child one of my favorite things was Apple Butter. Peanut Butter and Apple Butter sandwiches. So I tried making my own apple butter and it turned out really well. Great with peanut butter or on toast. Here's the recipe, you should try it!

Apple Butter

Ingredients
:
2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 to 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. allspice
1/8 t. ground ginger
1/8 t. ground cloves

Directions
:
In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.

(Recipe from tasteofhome.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment